Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Quick eats: bison burgers and beets

Just wanted to quickly share a meal that I had over the weekend:  grilled bison burgers and veggies.  Again, I love buying meat from the farmers market, but sometimes the cuts just aren't what I wanted them to be.  The ground bison had nice flavor, but it's excruciatingly lean.  I would prefer grass-fed beef - lean but not too lean.  I ended up adding some melted butter to the meat before making the patties in order to give it a fat boost.  And I took care to not cook them past medium!

Grilled veggies are always fantastic.  I'm clearly getting my asparagus fix over the spring while it's fresh.  I also roasted some golden beets and drizzled them with olive oil.  Whether red or golden, beats can really make a meal pop.  Look out Food Network.

Easy Roasted Beets:

  1. Remove greens.  Wash and scrub beets thoroughly.
  2. Place beets on a large sheet of aluminum foil, drizzle with oil, and fold aluminum foil so that it creates a packet (make sure the edges are sealed to ensure steaming).  It will look like someone tried to awkwardly wrap up loose tennis balls as a gift.
  3. Roast at 350 degrees F for 1 hour, or until you can pierce with a knife.
  4. When cool enough to handle, peel the beets by rubbing them into a towel or wad of paper towels.
  5. Salt, pepper, olive oil, and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment